Film Friday | Weekly Roundup
It’s a holiday weekend no matter which side of the fence you’re on. Happy Canada Day and/or Happy 4th of July, depending on where you are! Since I’m existentially straddling that fence, I’ve decided to celebrate both. Summer holiday weekends mean bbq, pool dates, fireworks and, of course, lots of movies! So kick back, soak up some rays, uncork a bottle of vino and take a tour around the interwebs in this weeks Friday Roundup. And then get to watching!
- If you’re looking for something to watch, you can’t go wrong with Mary Pickford in Poor Little Rich Girl. Mythical Monkey has conveniently provided some cool factoids and a link to stream it.
- Mandy has set herself the task of watching each movie in Roger Ebert’s Great Movies and writing about them The Mandy/Ebert Project. Personally I love a list and checking things off of a list, and I love the completely guileless way Mandy approaches movies. She writes so personally and without a whit of pretension. A long weekend is the perfect time to catch up on her progress and start to follow along!
- A here-to-fore unknown Chaplin short (probably compiled without his knowledge) “Zepped” failed to meet $100,000 reserve at a London Auction. I love Chaplin as much as the next gal, but 100K for a “Chaplinesque” short does seem a bit much, especially in these troubled times.
- June 29 was Bernard Herrmann’s 100th birthday and bloggers celebrated with great pieces all over the interwebs, inlcuding Alfred Hitchcock Geek with his excellent “Hitchcock and Herrmann: A Tale of Two Maestros”
- Noir & Chick Flicks reviewed the Marion Davies flick “Quality Street” this week. Yes, that Marion Davies, the 20th Century’s Helen of Troy. I haven’t seen this movie yet, but thanks to this review it’s on my list.
- Ingmar Bergman had a cinema barn and he visited it every day at 3 p.m. I want a cinema barn, and I’m going out to buy some lottery tickets now, since that’s the only way I can think of to get my own cinema barn.
- I had forgotten all about <a title=”IMDB” href=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/qqqJGHcQll0” target=”_blank”>The Three Lives of Thomasina, but Via Margutta 51 reminded me this week. It was a particular favorite of mine as a child because my cat looked a lot like Thomasina. Is it a great movie? Nooo… but it brought back very fond memories.
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 24, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 17, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 10, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films – Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 3, 2011
Posted on July 1, 2011, in Miscellany and tagged bernard herrmann, charlie chaplin, david lynch, film friday round up, Hitchcock, Ingmar Bergman, marion davies, mary pickford, silent movies. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.