Film Friday | Weekly Roundup
Well here we are at the end of a very long week, at least for me. Lots of work and a very sick puppy got in the way of movie watching and blogging, but we’ll be back to our regularly scheduled programming next week. Stay tuned for a review of the wonderfully weird The Lost World from 1925 and more interesting bits and bobs. In the meantime, take a tour through the news and goings on in classic movie cyberspace. Happy weekend and happy viewing!
- Check out this lovely piece from The New York Review of Books on Buster Keaton by Charles Simic.
- Another rare Chaplin film turns up, this time in a junk shop. If this happens again, it’ll almost be a non-event.
- If you have a spare $2,475,000, you can snatch up Clara Bow’s house.
- Who doesn’t love a good heist. Jake Hinkson takes a look at some classic heist flicks at criminalelement.com.
- If you happen to by in NYC, drop by my beloved (and dearly missed) Film Forum for the “Essential Pre-Code” film series.
- Don’t miss Mr. Gable’s Netflix Instant Bad Movie Marathon this Saturday. Find all the deets at Mr. Gable’s Reality.
- Aaaannnd…. speaking of Netflix. It’s not news anymore that Netflix effectively doubled its prices this week by splitting dvd rental and streaming into different subscription streams. Personally, I eschewed the dvd thing a while ago, so the price hike doesn’t affect me, but the LOTS of people are VERY upset. It’s a bold move on the part of Netflix. Here’s a smattering of what peeps are saying: Immortal Ephemera, Jennifer Garlan for The Examiner, Laura’s Miscellaneous Musings, She Blogged By Night, Hollywood Revue, Film School Rejects, Film Junk
- On a lighter note, take a peek at this cute and funny film from students Felix Meyer, Pascal Monaco & Torsten Strer. Thanks for ViaMargutta51 for posting about “The Alfred Hitchcock Cookbook”:
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 8, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 1, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 24, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 17, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 10, 2011
Posted on July 15, 2011, in Miscellany and tagged bad movie marathon, buster keaton, chalie chapling, Charles Simic, clara bow, film friday round up, heist movies, Netflix, silent movies. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.