Film Friday | Weekly Roundup
Summer makes me nostalgic for the drive-in movie theater. Fortunately for me, Toronto’s got one. Unfortunately for me, I don’t have a Pretty Clever Car. If you’re lucky enough to have both a set of wheels and enough hipsters in your area to qualify for a retro-fun drive-in, then get in your pjs and get out there! Otherwise, turn off the a/c, open the windows, and route your tv’s sound through some tinny speakers! May I suggest a monster flick? Happy Friday and happy viewing!
- Don’t forget to vote for your favorite entries in the Monster Mash Blogathon at Forgotten Classics of Yesteryear. I’m casting my lot for She Blogged by Night’s excellent parsing of Plan 9 From Outer Space.
- They Don’t Make ‘Em Like They Used To reviews The Setup, one of the greatest (and most brutal) boxing movies ever made. Seriously, you’ll walk away from this flick feeling like you’ve been punched in the face for 90 minutes.
- Occasionally, Pretty Clever Film Gal likes to indulge in some classic Hollywood scandal reading… but who knew Ingrid Bergman was an “instrument of evil”?
- Paul Castigliga is digging deep into the horror-comedy genre over at Scared Silly. Don’t miss his review of Buster Keaton’s The Haunted House, and stick around for his other great reviews.
- Mythical Monkey thinks about the lost Cleopatra (1917), the appeal of Theda Bera, and the dangers of reviewing non-existent movies.
- 11 East 14th Street serves up thoughtful and fascinating “Illustrated Essays on Motion Pictures.” I’m not recommending a specific post, but all of the posts. Make a pot of tea and settle in for a great read.
- Check out the film evolution timeline at Early Cinema. Then check out the A-Z glossary. Do it!
- Then indulge in some early movie history with “The Great Train Robbery”
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 29, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 22, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 15, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 8, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 1, 2011
Posted on August 5, 2011, in Miscellany and tagged buster keaton, film friday round up, Ingrid Bergman, monster mash blogathon, Plan 9 From Outer Space, silent film. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.