I Wanna be Jean Arthur
If I could be a any character from a movie, my choices would be:
- Wilhelmina “Bill” Clark in The Whole Town’s Talking
- Babe Bennett in Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
- Alice Sycamore in You Can’t Take it With You
- Nora Shelley in The Talk of the Town
- Clarissa Saunders in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
After reviewing my list, it occurs to me I don’t want to be Babe Bennett or Nora Shelley – I want to be Jean Arthur! (Apparently I also want to be about 60% Capraesque, but I digress). Jean was lovely without being remote, sweet but never precious, and the quintessential fast-talking wise gal without ever being hard. She was less the girl next door and more the really cool older sister of the girl next door.
Today is Jean Arthur’s birthday. To celebrate, let’s think about how truly awesome she was and enjoy some of my favorite Jean Arthur photos.
Posted on October 17, 2011, in Miscellany and tagged Jean Arthur, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Talk of the Town, The Whole Town's Talking, You Can't Take it With You. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.