Film Friday | Weekly Roundup
What a very exciting week it has been for silent movies and the people who blog about them. Suddenly, everyone wants to know more. It’s seems that an Best Picture Oscar win for the The Artist has confirmed this whole silent movie thing isn’t just a flash in the pan for the public. Everyone wants in on the action, up to and including the Winnipeg public library. Today is a great day for the newly initiated to dip a toe into the wild world of silent movies, since we have both a grave robbing and marriage scandal to look back on. See it’s way more interesting than you may have thought, huh? At any rate, here’s the silent movies doings and shakings. Happy reading and happy viewing!
- In the wake of The Artist Oscar win, silent film lists abound. I do like this one from the Guardian, since it includes Murnau’s The Last Laugh.
- He he… the Winnipeg Public Library also wants you to know that it has silent movies and silent movie books.
- And… another list of silent movies to watch after you watch The Artist. I’m not sure these are great for beginners.
- The MOMA liked it before it was cool, but there’s 6 more weeks of rare European silent comedies coming up.
- Also on this day in history… Scandal! Mary Pickford divorces Owen Moore! Check out this newspaper from the day.
- Interviews with moving image archivists. We owe them, you know.
- A here’s my rec if you loved The Artist – Doug Fairbanks in The Black Pirate:
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – February 24, 2012
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – February 17, 2012
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – February 10, 2012
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – February 3, 2012
Posted on March 2, 2012, in Miscellany and tagged Academy Award, Academy Award for Best Picture, Black Pirate, charlie chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, mary pickford, MOMA, Owen Moore, silent film, The Artist, Winnipeg Public Library. Bookmark the permalink. 8 Comments.