Film Friday | Weekly Roundup
Hey there friends and neighbors… It’s me, Pretty Clever Film Gal. Did you think I had run off to Mexico with a pool boy named Pablo? While that is a tempting proposition, I’ve been here in sunny Toronto, locked away in the blogging garret working on the new and improved Pretty Clever Films. Which is a lot of work, oh boy! Even aside from the design and what not, there’s a lot of frustratingly cryptic stuff about domains, and transfers, and transferring domains, and every step takes 2-200 days. Since when does the interwebs need days to do anything? But I digress… suffice it to say, big stuff is going down and in the meantime it’s a really bad call to update here because then I also have to update on the new site and blah blah blah. I promise – it will be worth the wait!
All that said – there is NO WAY I would not scour the interwebs so you, my dear reader, don’t have to. Hopefully by this time next week we’ll be rocking and rolling on the new Pretty Clever Films, but in the meantime I bring you the best the web had to offer this week and I’m going all out – now with 50% more links! Happy reading and happy viewing!
- Some preliminary observations on Hugo from Spectacular Attractions.
- I hope you caught the Muybridge Google doodle. The LA Times recounts the raucous life of the frustrating-t- spell Eadweard J. Muybridge.
- Christopher Nolan rips on 3D. Ok he doesn’t rip exactly, but he says some stuff.
- Dear Old Hollywood runs down the locations in Gun Crazy and shoots them. With a camera, silly.
- “Maybe next year…” (Hint: this post is not about the Maple Leafs.)
- Ya know, sometimes you just wanna see a funny stupid movie. Here’s a list of 100 from the funnily and stupidly named Yahoo.
- Flick Chick ponders the age old question, “Am I a Film Snob?“
- The Cinementals have the brazilliant idea of a DIY Classic Film Fest, for those of us who couldn’t make the TCMFF. Now I have two things to go pout about: I’m not at the fest and I didn’t think of this.
- Only the Cinema looks at one of cinemas best (IMHO), Fritz Lang’s M. Then he looks at the 1951 remake, which prompts me to think, “F*ck you Hollywood, with your remakes.”
- Even thinking about Dali and Disney makes me feel like I need to lie down for a bit.
- The Film School Rejects break down Alfred Hitchcock’s Top 6 Filmmaking Tips.
- It was a tough week for Mary Pickford. First she turned 120 years old, then her studio got demoed, and then her funding got cut. Fortunately, we all love her. A Mythical Monkey reviews Mary Pickford in Stella Maris and sends out an SOS for the Mary Pickford Institute for Film Education. The Cinementals podcast their Praise of Pickford.
- Hey now, tomorrow is the anniversary of the release date for Charlie Chaplin’s A Dog’s Life. Chaplin plus dog equals awww.
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – April 6, 2012
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – March 30, 2012
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – March 23, 2012
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – March 16, 2012
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – March 09, 2012
Posted on April 13, 2012, in Miscellany and tagged A Dog's Life, alfred hitchcock, charlie chaplin, Christopher Nolan, fritz lang, funny movies, Gun Crazy, Hugo, M, mary pickford, salvador dali, Turner Classic Movies Film Festival. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.